United Steelworkers 55th National Policy Conference
Early Bird Registration Deadline: February 28, 2023
National Director’s invitation letter
National Director’s invitation letter
I am pleased to invite you to join us next April in Toronto for our United Steelworkers National Policy Conference.
This year’s conference theme is “engage, mobilize, organize”. This is so relevant as we have seen so many organizing victories and bargaining successes over the past several years, we need to build on a re-energized labour movement.
This will be my first National Policy Conference as the Canadian National Director and I couldn’t be more excited. It will be a great opportunity for Steelworkers from across Canada to come together to set the union’s policy agenda for the next three years. I am looking forward to thinking and hearing about we can best engage, mobilize and organize to ensure a strong and robust union for decades to come.
Plan to attend and join hundreds of Steelworker activists at the Sheraton in downtown Toronto from April 25-28 as we set policy on political action, organizing, collective bargaining, and international solidarity. You’ll also have a chance to hear from the National Indigenous Committee, the National Anti-Racism Working Group and the National Women’s Committee.
I am proud that this year’s conference is returning to downtown Toronto in my home district. We will hear from a number of great speakers from across Canada and from our international union. Members will be front and center with panels on organizing, political action and health and safety. There will be so much to cover, from bargaining success stories to the work of our union around the globe.
National NextGen Conference
As with our last three policy conferences, the National NextGen Conference will take place on the Monday before the National Policy Conference. On Monday, April 24, we will hold a full-day conference for Steelworker activists 35 and under. This will be an excellent opportunity for younger Steelworkers to build networks, and to prioritize and discuss action items most relevant to NextGen. The one-day event will include speakers, panels and workshops.
All NextGen Conference delegates who are also attending the National Policy Conference will get free registration and up to $800 in reimbursed expenses (note; amount of subsidy is under review and may increase).
National Locals and Federally Regulated Workers Conference
For the second time, we will hold a conference for our members in our national locals and federally-regulated sectors. This will take place on Monday, April 24. We will build on the success of the first federally-regulated workers conference that took place in 2019, as we address issues from anti-scab legislation, building cross-district bargaining strength and other issues relevant to federally regulated members.
I encourage everyone to start planning today to send a strong, engaged delegation to the conference. This is your chance to set the union’s direction for the next three years, so be sure to work with your locals to submit policy resolutions.
I look forward to seeing you in Toronto next April.
USW National Director
- USW National Policy Conference 2023 (April 25-28)
- Chair: National Director Marty Warren
- National SOAR Conference (April 23-24)
- Prior to the National Policy Conference, our retirees will get together for a two-day conference to discuss and plan their many upcoming actions and activities.
- NextGen Conference (April 24)
- In what has become an important National Policy Conference tradition, our Next Generation of Steelworkers will spend a day building solidarity, discussing particular issues affecting young workers and making plans for organizing our next generation. Our NextGen delegates will also prepare a report back to the Policy Conference.
- National Locals and Federally Regulated Workers Conference (April 24)
- This special one-day conference will bring together our members in telecommunications, rail, transportation and airports, to name a few of the federal sectors where we have an increasing membership. They will have an opportunity to discuss specific issues in the federal sector and build solidarity in bargaining and political action.
- Policy and issue discussions and resolutions
- The heart and soul of the National Policy Conference is the engaging discussions about the accomplishments of our union and the issues facing our members, our communities and Canadian workers. Following the discussions on each of these policy areas, there will be time to debate the union’s policies and set the union’s direction over the coming years.
- The policy areas will include:
- Organizing in new sectors
- International trade
- Member engagement
- Advancing Indigenous rights
- Environment and decarbonization
- Maintaining our health and safety priorities
- Building international solidarity
- Equity caucus meetings
- The conference agenda will include time for all of our equity caucuses. These will be held over the lunch hour on two conference days to ensure strong participation and access for all delegates from equity-seeking groups.
- Special guest speakers
- As in past years, delegates will hear from our key political allies, inspiring guest speakers and our union’s leadership. Keep an eye out on the conference web page as our special guest speakers are confirmed!
- International guests
- As always, the National Policy Conference will attract many international guests from the trade union movement across the world. The conference is always an exciting time to build solidarity across borders, and the conference will feature lots of time to meet and talk to our international allies.
- Engage, mobilize, organize!
- Sticking with our theme, we will feature many local union activists and new members from recent organizing victories. We will also feature members who’ve mobilized to take political action. We’ll also hear directly from our National Anti-Racism Working Group, the National Indigenous Committee and the National Women’s Committee on engaging members to create a more inclusive and equitable union.
Simultaneous interpretation (English/French) will be provided.
Call to order:
SOAR Conference: Sunday, April 23 at 9:00 AM
NextGen Conference: Monday, April 24 at 9:00 AM
National Locals & Federally Regulated Workers Conference: Monday, April 24 at 9:00 AM
National Policy Conference: Tuesday, April 25 at 9:00 AM
Friday, April 28, 2023 at 12:00 PM
NextGen + National Locals & Federally Regulated Workers Conferences
Sunday, April 23 from 4:00 PM to 6:00 PM
Monday, April 24 from 7:30 AM to 8:45 AM
National Policy Conference
Monday, April 24 from 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM
Tuesday, April 25 from 7:30 AM to 8:45 AM
Resolutions Committee 1st meeting: Sunday, April 23 from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM
Sergeant-at-Arms Committee 1st meeting: Monday, April 24 from 1:30 PM to 2:30 PM
Credentials Committee 1st meeting: Monday, April 24 from 1:30 PM to 2:30 PM
New Delegates Orientation: Monday, April 24 from 7:00 PM to 8:00 PM
(National Policy Conference)
Blue Jays game at Rogers Centre: evening of Tuesday, April 25
Tickets are now available via the registration page! If you have already registered, you will need your confirmation number to modify your registration and request your ticket.
International Solidarity Reception: Wednesday evening, April 26 at 6:00 PM
Equity Caucuses (Women of Steel, Racialized workers, LGBTQ2SIA+ workers, Indigenous workers, Workers with disabilities):
Wednesday, April 26 during lunch break
Thursday, April 27 during lunch break
(light lunch will be served)
National Director’s Dinner Social: Thursday evening, April 27 at 6:30 PM
Hospitality Suites: Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evenings
Toronto & York Region Labour Council Day of Mourning Rally: Friday, April 28 at 12:00 PM following adjournment, all are welcome
Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel
123 Queen Street West
Toronto, ON M5H 2M9
Hotel and travel
Please note: A new overflow block has been added at the Doubletree by Hilton Toronto Downtown. See below under “Overflow Hotel” for details.
Sheraton Centre Toronto Hotel
123 Queen Street West
Toronto, ON M5H 2M9
Toll Free: 1-888-627-7175 (Refer to group code EL1 or United Steelworkers)
Room Rates: $249 for a Traditional room
Conference rates are available from April 21 to April 28, 2023 (subject to availability)
Cutoff date is April 4, 2023
Amenities (included in rate): Guest room internet, Fitness Centre, heated indoor-outdoor pool
Parking and public transit: Valet parking only at hotel ($60 + tax per 24 hrs)
Municipal parking across the street (Green P – $3.50/30 mins, lower rates for overnight parking)
Public transit (TTC) – fare $3.25 Osgoode or Queen stations
Check-in is at 3 pm
Check-out is at 12 noon
Reservations must be guaranteed with first night room deposit OR with a major credit card (credit card payments will not be processed until check-in). Cancellation: 3 days prior to first night’s stay.
Hotel reservation deadline is April 4, 2023 but please book ASAP to guarantee hotel room availability.
Doubletree by Hilton Toronto Downtown
108 Chestnut Street
Room rates: $279 per night + tax for one Queen
Online: click here
Phone: 1-800-445-8667 or 416-977-5000 (mention the group code 92J to make a booking)
145 Richmond Street West
Toronto, Ontario, M5H 2L2, Canada
Phone: 1-416-869-3456 (refer to Code 91N to get the discounted USW rate)
Room rates: $319 per night + tax for one King deluxe
Amenities: complimentary Wi-Fi, complimentary access to fitness and centre and indoor/outdoor pool
Check-in is at 4:00 pm
Check-out is at 11:00 am
Cutoff: March 24, 2023
Official travel agencies of the National Policy Conference
WE Travel – Voyages
Lorna – email@example.com
Karen – firstname.lastname@example.org
Ariane – email@example.com
Maha – firstname.lastname@example.org
W.E Travel will book air travel for this conference for a flat fee of $55.00 + tax in addition to the cost of the ticket.
DT Vision Travel Solutions
Colleen Burke – email@example.com
(604) 273-1811, ext. 1837Dane Tessier – firstname.lastname@example.org
1-800-816-6644, ext. 8717
DT Vision Travel Solutions will book air travel for this conference for a flat fee of $60.00 + tax in addition to the cost of the ticket.
Discount codes are available for anyone booking travel to Toronto for the conference:
Air Canada Promotion Code for NPC: DTG674G1 (5-10% off depending on fare type)
Via Rail promotion code 14345 (10% off except on Escape & Prestige fares)
Friends and colleagues of the United Steelworkers are invited to participate in the National Policy Conference through sponsorship of various conference events. This is the perfect opportunity to bring recognition to your local union or to the services that your organization provides to the Steelworkers.
National Director’s Dinner Social
- Recognition on conference agenda, from plenary podium, on the printed evening program, from event podium, and on events poster
- Includes 8 tickets to dinner social
International Solidarity Reception OR Lunch for Equity Caucuses
- Recognition on conference agenda, from plenary podium, from event podium, and on events poster
- Includes 6 tickets to reception or dinner social
Wine at Dinner Social
- Recognition from plenary podium and on events poster
- Recognition on evening program and from event podium
- Includes 4 tickets to dinner social
Co-sponsor: Lunch or dinner for NextGen, Lunch for Equity Caucuses, International Solidarity Reception, National Director’s Dinner Social
- Recognition from plenary podium and event podium, and on events poster
- Includes 2 tickets to dinner social
Co-sponsor: Lunch or Dinner for NextGen, Lunch for Equity Caucuses, International Solidarity Reception, National Director’s Dinner Social
- Recognition from plenary and event podium, and on events poster
Sponsorship cheques to be made payable to “United Steelworkers” and sent to:
Alexandra Eshelman, USW National Office, 234 Eglinton Avenue East, 8th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M4P 1K7, email@example.com, 416-544-5968
- 1 topic each, 150 words max.
- All resolutions must be submitted online using the form below.
- You will need to enter the date, time and location of the local union meeting that approved submitting the resolution.
- Guidelines and sample can be found below.
Deadline for resolutions is March 10, 2023. Note that late resolutions are considered at the discretion of the Resolutions Committee, and may not appear in the resolutions book.
How do we shape our future in today’s economic, social and political climate?
The National Policy Conference is your opportunity to present, discuss and debate priorities on, for example, workers’ rights at home and abroad, our children’s future, the protection of our health, safety and environment, and advancing our agenda for equality and human rights.
Resolutions are to be submitted online only, using the form below, no later than March 10, 2023.
A resolution should deal with one topic only and be limited to 150 words. For help on submitting your resolution(s), review the sample resolution below.
Note: Each resolution must be adopted by your local union membership. In order for your resolution(s) to be considered, you must include the date, time and location of the local union meeting where the resolution was passed.
For more information, contact:
USW National Office
WHEREAS a growing number of employers are using the practice of contract flipping by regularly changing short-term contracts with service providers; and
WHEREAS workers affected by contract flipping are forced to live with less job security and often have to reapply for their positions at lower wages, with fewer benefits and the inability to maintain the other benefits of belonging to a union; and
WHEREAS the federal government made a commitment in the 2021 budget to take action to stop contract flipping in federally regulated work places; and
WHEREAS some workers in some parts of the country have protections from contract flipping, but all workers deserve to have the same protection, regardless of where they work and live;
THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED THAT our union lobby all levels of government to introduce legislation to end contract flipping for all workers in every sector and part of the country.
Name of President Name of Recording Secretary
Date: ______________ Time: ______________ Location: ____________
Click here to submit your resolutions.
(Note that late resolutions are considered at the discretion of the Resolutions Committee, and may not appear in the resolutions book.)
Registration is now closed
Early bird registration (On or before February 28, 2023): $345.00 per delegate
Late registration (On or after March 1, 2023): $395.00 per delegate
NextGen registration: No fee (See below for more details)
National Locals and Federally Regulated Workers registration: No fee (See below for more details)
Registration fee includes one ticket to the National Director’s Dinner Social. Additional dinner tickets are $50 each (limit three extra tickets per delegate) and must be purchased in advance.
Cheques payable to: “United Steelworkers NPC 2023”
- All registrations must be completed online here
- Once registered you can print a confirmation sheet, as well as an extra copy to attach to your cheque to mail in, or you can simply write your confirmation number on your cheque.
- Cheque must clearly show delegate name(s).
National Policy Conference – April 25-28, 2023
NextGen Conference – April 24, 2023
National Locals and Federally Regulated Workers Conference, April 24, 2023
Registration for the USW 2023 National Policy Conference and related conferences must be done online. This includes delegate registration, accessibility needs and on-site child care.
There is no limit on the number of delegates a local union may send to the National Policy Conference or to the related conferences.
There is no registration fee for the NextGen Conference or the National Locals and Federally Regulated Workers Conference. The National Policy Conference registration fee is waived for NextGen Conference delegates when NextGen delegates also register for and attend the National Policy Conference in full. Their local unions are eligible for up to $800 in reimbursement for transportation and hotel expenses – see below for details.
Registration deadline is March 31, 2023
*Early bird registration deadline (for reduced registration fee) is February 28, 2023*
Registration is now closed
For more registration information, contact:
USW National Office
234 Eglinton Avenue East, 8th Floor
Toronto, Ontario M4P 1K7
firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Registration is now closed
Fee Waiver and Expense Reimbursement for NextGen Delegates (must be 35 or under on April 28, 2023).
- Local Unions will be reimbursed up to a maximum amount of $800 per delegate (note: the subsidy amount is under review and may increase to $1000) for actual amount of receipts for transportation and hotel, provided that delegates also register for and attend the National Policy Conference in full.
- There is no registration fee for the NextGen Conference. NextGen Conference delegates do not have to pay the registration fee for the National Policy Conference.
- After April 28, locals must submit hotel receipts showing name of delegate, arrival and departure dates, hotel charges and payment, and transportation receipts showing name(s) of delegate(s), itinerary and cost for any air, bus or train travel, as well as any taxi receipts between home and airport/station and between airport/station and hotel.
- Those driving will be reimbursed mileage at 61 cents/km (or applicable rate for 2023) up to a maximum equivalent to the cost of economy air fare. Gas receipts must be submitted as backup and the mileage travelled each way clearly indicated.
- No lost time or per diem will be reimbursed.
Submit claim on a NextGen Expense Voucher that must be signed by the delegate and a LU officer. Blank claim forms will be available from this page (coming soon). No reimbursement will be made to individuals.
Identify if you will make use of our free, on-site childcare at the National Policy Conference when you register as a conference delegate. If your children are staying home but require childcare while you attend the conference, please explore if your local has a family care/childcare benefit program or if you can make use of the Family and Community Education Fund (FCEF)’s Family Care Reimbursement Program. Learn more about the FCEF’s reimbursement program by emailing the FCEF Co-ordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org.Share on Facebook Share on Twitter